In addition to removing excess clutter in closets, drawers, the basement and garage, there are 9 things you should consider getting rid of or moving to another location before putting your home on the market.
- Personal paperwork – This includes bills, invoices, letters from government agencies, taxes, wills, etc. Maybe you currently store them in a file folder on your desk, A type of freestanding file or post on a bulletin board, remove them and place them in a safe place so potential buyers are not tempted to peek at them. It also helps to prevent identify theft.
- Money – You may have a coin jar where you deposit your loose change or dollars stuffed in a drawer for emergencies. Put them in a safe place for now.
- Weapons, guns, ammunition – Don’t just hide these…remove them from your home. If a potential buyer discovers your hiding place, they may wonder if the neighborhood is safe or they may unwittingly mention it to someone else (who might just be a thief).
- Coats & shoes – If you have a coat rack by the back door and a place where everyone takes off their shoes, you may want to remove them. A mess at the back door may mean that there’s not enough storage space. You want the area to look spacious and clean.
- Family photos – If you have a ton of framed photos sitting on a table, on the fireplace mantle, or hanging in a hallway, well, homebuyers can easily get distracted by them, including asking questions about the “sellers” living there now. The goal is to get them to view your home—not your pictures.
- Jewelry and valuables – In addition to putting away your jewelry and valuables, hide your jewelry box, your stamp or coin collection and your valuable antiques such as vases, figurines, or artwork.
- Medicines – don’t just hide it…remove it! There are many reports of both prescription and non-prescription medicine being stolen from listed homes.
- De-clutter countertops and tables – Removing almost everything from the countertops and tables (see #4 and #5) will make the home seem more spacious.
- Magnets on the refrigerator – De-clutter this area immediately!
If you are need of a good listing agent in your local area, please let me know and I can refer you several top Realtors that I have a great working relationship with.